I was walking to work the other day listening to music from my Spotify playlist. It suddenly hit me that most of my songs on my phone reminds me of something of my past.
This gave me the idea to shuffle my Spotify, and see what memories come up when I listen to the song.
So here goes:
1. All Cried Out – Blonde: This song reminds me of when I went to Ibiza that last year with my best friend, her sister and her sisters friend. I remember it being one of the songs we would listen to while we got ready. I’m in definite need of a holiday.
2. Cannonball – Damien Rice: I put this song on my playlist after little mix won X factor. I do actually love both versions. But it was my dad that got me into Damien rice in the first place with “The Blowers Daughter”.
3. Fill Me In – Craig David: I’ll be honest, this song does remind me of my ex. [ie, bob]. Although I just remember listening to it on Radio 1 extra and he was like “oh my god, this is such a tune” and turns out I really liked it… so I came home and listened to it over and over and over again on repeat.
4. Heatwave – Wiley: This song. Wow! I’d usually say ‘this song is so annoying.. it was so overplayed’, but it makes me smile. It reminds me of a nightclub [I dont know if nightclub is the right word?] in my town called Chicagos and it was my jaaaaaam.
5. Right Where You Want Me – Jesse McCartney: You know how you go through life having mini crushes with quite a few celebrities. I had a long stunt with Jesse McCartney. When I was 14, his face, his eyes, his hair, his singing just made me weak at the knees.
6. Thats Not me – Skepta: I know what you’re thinking. You? Grime? Really though? I mean, I’m not like the grime queen but theres a few occasional songs that take my fancy [and probably the pretty mainstream ones]. This song reminds me of my group of friends that has slowly fallen apart, but again, it makes me smile.
7. Confident – Justin Bieber: This song seems to be on my Spotify playlist purely because I like the song. This song came out just before all his ‘bangerz’ and just after his song ‘Boyfriend’. I can’t say I’ve been a hardcore fan, but I actually liked him from the first day I saw him on YouTube.
8. Bohemian Like You – The Dandy Warhols: Now this is my dads doing. When we were younger we would sit in his car while he played his music and this would be a song that he would put on repeat. And when you hear it so much you start learning to know the words, and have a keen taste for it yourself. It, sort of, reminds you of happy times.
9. Marvin Gaye – Charlie Puth (ft Meghan Trainor): I hated this song when it first came out. And then I put it on quite a few times to annoy my boyfriend [good, ole’ bob again], and then I just suddenly started to find myself singing it, and enjoying it. And it comes on at work now, and I’m there like singing all the words. I actually love the song now, no matter how annoying it is.
10. Gone Missing – Shift Key: This song is quite a recent one. I heard it on the radio on the way to Worcester for night out, loved it as soon as I heard it, shazaamed it, and added it straight to Spotify from there. And I’ve played it over and over again! Its still one of my favourite songs at the moment.
I mean, they’re not ground breaking memories but they make me smile. And yes, I have seriously bad taste in music. I know, I know.
What does your spotify playlist look like?